If you have suffered Motorcycle Accident Injuries in a bike wreck, you may be entitled to money compensation. Contact a motorcycle accident attorney today at (480) 361-2442 for a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accidents can Cause Serious Injuries
Motorcycles are more likely to be involved in crashes than other vehicles because they are less visible than cars. The primary cause of motorcycle accidents is the failure of other drivers to see bike riders.
When motorcycles are involved in a crash, the motorcycle offers little or no protection to the rider. As a result, the rider is more likely to be injured or killed than the occupants of a car.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Riders involved in bike accidents often suffer very serious motorcycle accident injuries. Some of these injuries can include:
- Head Injuries. One of the most common motorcycle injuries is a head injury. A rider who hits their head may have a concussion or brain damage. Wearing a helmet significantly reduces the risk of permanent brain damage, but it does not eliminate the risk of serious head injuries. Head injuries may require lifetime medical care and life care assistance. They can also cause death.
- Road Rash and Muscle Damage. Other common injuries for motorcycle riders include road rash and muscle damage. These can occur when the rider’s body slides across the ground, especially if the rider is not wearing protective bike clothing. “Biker’s arm” is caused when nerves in the upper arm are damaged in a bike crash. Road rash can be very serious and may require weeks of skin grafts in a hospital. Road rash can also cause permanent scars.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Spinal cord injuries are very serious. They can result in permanent or temporary paralysis. The rider may require long-term medical care and personal life care assistance.
- Fractures. Fractures can occur when a rider is thrown from the bike and breaks a bone. Leg and wrist fractures are some of the most common types of fractures caused by motorcycle accidents. Fractures may require surgery and can take years to heal.
Damages Available to Motorcycle Accident Victims
A motorcycle accident injury can cause significant physical pain, months or years of recuperation and large medical bills. Riders that survive a motorcycle accident may have months or years of expensive medical care and rehabilitation. They may not be able to work for extended periods of time. Medical care may involve surgery, physical therapy and medication.
If you are injured or a loved one is killed in a bike wreck, money damages may not seem sufficient to compensate you for your losses. Yet such damages can help pay for medical bills, lost wages and daily living needs of the motorcycle accident victim and his or her family. To recover for motorcycle injuries, you will probably have to first make a claim or file a motorcycle accident lawsuit
Each motorcycle crash is different, and every rider’s injuries are unique. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you decide if you should seek damages for:
- Past medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost income
- Future lost income
- Home health care costs
- Medical monitoring
- Diminished earnings capacity
- Special equipment to accommodate disabilities
- Life care
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Physical and/or mental impairment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
Motorcycle Accident and Injury Statistics
Motorcycles are fun to ride. Unfortunately, they are also very dangerous. Here are some statistics on motorcycle accident and motorcycle injuries:
- According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are 35 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash and 8 times more likely to be injured
- 98% of motorcycle crashes involving another vehicle result in an injury to the motorcycle rider
- 96% of single bike accidents result in an injury to the bike rider
- Helmets are estimated to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists
- 75% of motorcycle accidents involve a crash with another vehicle, usually a car
- In two-thirds of accidents involving another vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle was at fault for violating the motorcycle’s right-of-way
- Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents
According to the Hurt Report, a comprehensive study of motorcycle accidents and injuries, “The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents.” In other words, the primary reason for most motorcycle accidents involving other vehicles is that the other driver did not see the biker.
The Hurt Report had 55 findings relating to motorcycle accidents, injuries, safety and statistics. You can read there here.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyer
Motorcycle riders do not always get the respect they deserve from other drivers, insurance companies and law enforcement officials. That’s why you need an experienced motorcycle accident attorney fighting for your rights.
If you or a loved one has suffered Motorcycle Accident Injuries in a motorcycle accident, contact one of our motorcycle injury lawyers> for a free, no-obligation consultation about your legal rights. You may be entitled to monetary compensation for your injuries. Let us focus on your legal recovery while you focus on your physical recovery. Call (480) 361-2442.